Thursday, October 23, 2008

Oat Bran & Apple Muffins


I have decided to we need to eat more healthily. Not that we ever really eat a high fat diet or badly, but the pounds creep on over winter and with the warmer weather, that only means one thing...the layers of clothing need to be shed and the flab starts getting exposed!! We are off to the Gold Coast in a couple of weeks and the thought of putting on my bikini at the moment frightens me [and will probably frighten the rest of the swimmers as well :-)]

I love muffins but they are so high in fat. They make a good snack for the kids after school or for the lunchboxes, but thought I would try making a healthy version. I had a couple of apples in the fruitbowl, some buttermilk in the fridge that was near its due date so wanted something that combined these two things. Found a few recipes but nothing that looked particularly low fat so decided to make my own version adapted from Applesauce Oatmeal Muffins.

They were pretty good. Got a thumbs up from the kids and Tony. Next time I would probably put the cinnamon sugar topping on. I think they would be nicer warm rather than cold as well. It is a pretty wet mixture, but I think there is nothing worse than a dry muffin.


Oat Bran & Apple Muffins

I cup wholemeal flour
1 cup oat bran
½ cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
½ cup raisins
2 egg whites
1 cup chopped apple
1¼ cups buttermilk


Mix dry ingredients into a bowl.

Whisk egg whites lightly. Add chopped apple and buttermilk and mix.

Quickly mix the wet ingredients into the dry. Do not over-mix or muffins will be tough.

Spray muffin pans and spoon muffin mixture into pans.

Combine equal measure of cinnamon and sugar and top each muffin with this mixture.

Bake 180 degrees C for approx 15-20 minutes.

Makes 12

1 comment:

Cakelaw said...

These look and sound delicious! I know what you mean about the winter flab - I am hoping some of mine disappears soon. Hard to eat healthily when I love baking so much though!