Wednesday, November 26, 2008

TWD: Thansgiving Twofer Pie


This week's recipe is a combo of pumpkin and pecan pie. Now, we obviously don't celebrate Thansgiving in NZ, and I have never made pumpkin or pecan pie before, so I wanted to make this to try what seem to be American traditions. Unfortunately, I had to race out the door to work yesterday at 1pm, so I left it for the family to try first. I didn't get home til after midnight, but noticed half the pie had gone...always a good sign...so I cut myself a little sliver. Mmmmm, this was scrummy, so I cut myself another sliver. Oh my gosh, and that was not enough. Blow it, I helped myself to a hunk and sat down to enjoy it!!

What a yummy blend of flavours. It was easy to make. I used store bought pastry rather than making my own. I had a triffid pumpkin grow last autumn with a ton of pumpkins so I used one of those to make the puree. I have never seen pumpkin puree in a can before, and I am not even sure if you can buy it here. I followed the rest of the recipe exactly. I had to cook it for a little longer than recommended though.

Vibi from La casserole caree chose this week's recipe. You can find the recipe on her blog. And please check out what the other TWD bakers thought as well.

9 comments:

Megan said...

How exciting! Especially since you made it with your own pumpkins. Most of us use "the canned stuff", so I imagine that homegrown would taste that much better!

Sandy Smith said...

This looks great, and kudos to you, making homemade pumpkin pie even though you're not celebrating Thanksgiving. Looks like your family has something to be thankful for in that yummy pie!! :)

vibi said...

Thank you so much Deb, for participating with me this week... especially that you don't celebrate Thanksgiving, and also not knowing how your family would react to pumpkin in a pie!
...it's always a good sign when you find something's been eaten, before you even had the time to serve it! LOL

Cakelaw said...

That slice of pie looks so good Deb - I could almost bite into my computer screen to get at it. I agree that this was a delicious pie.

I have nominated you to bake bread for the Worldwide Blogger Bake-off:

http://kitchenlaw.blogspot.com/2008/11/worldwide-blogger-bake-off-guatemalan.html

Engineer Baker said...

Looks wonderful, so I'm glad you gave in and got yourself a good hunk of it :)

TeaLady said...

This looks great. Glad you enjoyed two of traditions at once. And home grown pumpkin. Yummy!! Great job.

Jaime said...

lovely job w/the pie. happy holidays!

Nate @ House of Annie said...

I love that you made the pie out of your own pumpkin puree. Great job!

Unknown said...

I like this...I will also make this...

Cheap Books Online New Zealand