Monday, August 25, 2008

Oat Shortbread

I was sitting down with a coffee and had a hankering for some buttery shortbread. You know, that kind that just melts in your mouth, with an ever so delicate flavour. It was something my mother and grandmother always had in the baking tins when we were growing up. It is not something I have made much of as an adult as the amount of butter that is usually required just makes my arteries scream in horror!

The traditional Scottish shortbread is generally made with butter, sugar and flour, cornflour or oatmeal, but there are lots of variations. Apparently, too, shortbread also has a national day on January 6th each year as well! So it is quite a famous little cookie. Anyway, upon perusing my own well worn recipe book I came across a recipe for Oat Shortbread. This seemed a little healthier than the shortbread I remember from my childhood so out came the baking bowl and tin. Took only a few minutes to mix up and none of that rolling out that ends up with more dough on the rolling pin than anywhere else!

And the taste....divine! Not like shortbread in the traditional sense, more like an anzac cookie. It was even better the next day as it had had time to harden more. And it got the definite thumbs up from the rest of the family.




Oat Shortbread

2 cups rolled oats
1 cup desiccated coconut
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 ground ginger
1/3 cup sesame seeds (optional)
150g butter, melted

In a large bowl mix dry ingredients. Add butter and combine well. Press into a greased swiss roll tin and bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 20-30 minutes. Allow to cool slightly in tin, then cut into squares and leave in tin until cold.

1 comment:

Little Miss Flossy said...

Ooo that sounds like something we'd love. I'm hopeless at real shortbread, I always overwork it I think and it's more crunchy than melt-in-your-mouth. We had a neighbour on the farm who was the Shortbread Queen... the kids still talk about her perfect shortbread with reverence LOL